Are you looking for a hands-on experience before diving into beekeeping? Or, are you an existing beekeeper looking for as much information about management practices as possible? Learn from the best teachers out there, the bees! Join us at the Bee Thinking apiary for hands-on classes that will delve into seasonally relevant hive management practices for Langstroth, horizontal top bar, and Warre hives.
All hands-on classes will have different content in response to what the bees are doing at that time of season. Students are encouraged to sign up for as many as they can attend.
General topics covered will include:
- Treatment-free and foundationless hive management practices
- General comb safety and health
- Hive splitting and swarm tactics
- Brood and honeycomb patterning and organization
- Hive tool, bee brush, and smoker technique
- General hive observations, reading, and troubleshooting in response to active hives
- Anticipation and safety practices
When: Workshops are 5 hours long from 9am-2pm. Choose dates from the drop down menu on the side.
Where: 15014 SE Woodland Way, Portland, OR, 97267
Bee Thinking will provide: Hive tools, full-body bee suits & gloves, water
You will need to bring: A personal water bottle, sack lunch and/or snacks, close-toed shoes (boots are best), sunscreen, and all your beekeeping questions!
There are only 12 seats per class, so reserve your position early!
Class will be conducted with an assumed knowledge of beekeeping basics. Please contact us with any specific needs or requests. Each student will be required to fill out and sign a liability waiver to participate in class activities.